Monday, March 27, 2023

Lewis-Materialistic

3/27/23




 

“Make Conversation”

 

Sensory overload and social anxiety is something I experience on a regular basis that leaves me feeling isolated and left out. I can easily become overwhelmed which becomes more intense when in unpredictable and new situations. I don’t understand small talk and often don’t really know how I'm supposed to respond to people. I miss social cues and get confused by people speaking with passive or indirect intentions. There are many obstacles to communication, eye contact makes me feel uncomfortable, I have unintentionally stopped paying attention before while evaluating if I am making eye contact properly or enough. I often just try to mirror the person I'm interacting with, trying to navigate a simple interaction. This becomes harder for me when the environment creates a lot of sensory input. Harsh lighting, strong fragrances and the indistinguishable chatter of a crowd of people for me is extremely overwhelming. It holds true even at events that I'm looking forward to attending. I don’t want to miss out, so I go and I know I will need to periodically hide in the bathroom for a moment of relief from sensory input. I accept it will be a draining experience , so I hold on to safe people and try to find joy in small moments that I forget what's happening around me. Outward perspective may pity this experience or tell me I'm overthinking and just need to relax. Neither are true, my experience is genuine and permanent, a part of who I am and the foundation of my art practice. I’m comfortable with who I am, I learn to adapt, a survival tool I've carried since childhood. In this space I have created an exaggerated experience attempting to demonstrate my perception of social events. Entering the room feels crowded with figures all around you, but the room is empty.  A non-verbal dialogue is created when interacting with sensory elements that take up cognitive space. I find the ways space is occupied very interesting physical and nonphysical,  and social spaces that feel arbitrary. Unable to communicate with the figures, you are left to observe your environment. Aroma of overly strong perfume, harsh bright lighting and loud audio are pushed in an uncomfortable manner. This is intended to be overwhelming to experience, and to create a feeling of tension and unease. A sense of hostility that comes from a threshold and not a place of danger. That reflects on the nature of how I feel in an interaction, the feeling of unease and tension are not created intentionally or from malice. A veil separates the figures from being accessed, limiting what is observable. A metaphorical boundary that creates a sense of isolation in a crowded space. This work invites you to experience it but the nature of the experience does not. Take note of your comfort and reflect what is your threshold for wanting to stay in the room. How long before you need to step out for relief? Do you think you could hold a conversation while experiencing this environment?


3/22/23



Guests begin to arrive. 


3/20/23

I have started the fabrication of the shadow figures, Im basing each of them off the scale diagram I created, although I will be adding some variety of personality for more visual interest. Based on their average size and the measurements of the This Gallery I will need to create 16 of them to fill it. Once installed they will be veiled with transparent material. To round out the experience the space will have harsh bright lighting paired with a loud sound of a chattering crowd.   

3/6/23 

After reviewing the handout This Gallery space has a height of about 11ft. With that in mind and the feeling I want to convey  I don’t intend to create any type of ceiling. Since I want aspects of intimidation I will keep the figures at the same scale, I want theses to be noticeably taller then anyone walking into the room. Something Im considering and would appreciate feedback on is using some type of flashing or moving light, similar to a bar. Something to the effect of colorful projections and strobe lights. On one hand it could be perceived as too much and  non cohesive  , or rather speak to the experience. At its core I want it to be overwhelming and for there to be alot of sensory input. For me this all together makes sense , but I want to know how people would feel in a room like that. Progress photos soon to follow…

2/27/23

I have been thinking over my concept and what I want to convey with this work. I need to measure my maximum height that the space allows , In the above sketch i was considering using a drop ceiling and what it would look like.  Although I have also thought of skipping a ceiling all together, the concept of harsh overhead lighting speaks to my concept. My work is intended to express how social settings can often become very overwhelming sensory overload. 

When walking in you will first notice the bright light and the sound of a loud noise of people speaking to each other in a busy room unable to make anything out of it.  Behind white panels on the wall you will be able to just make out a crowd of figures standing all around you. Its intent is to be overwhelming , and  be uncomfortable to the viewer to stay in the room long. For the noise loop sample I was considering going to the Union while it was really busy, I would then take that file and manipulate it to fit what I have conceptualized.


Project #2 concept:   

2/20/23  
Location: This Gallery

In this work I want to convey the over overstimulating and isolating  feeling that comes from social anxiety . Something so specific can be hard to express to a wide audience with unique experiences. For that reason the different elements to create a sensory interaction need to be dialed up for the experience to convey what it's supposed to. I want someone to walk in and first be met with the intensity of bright white light. This should give a sense of hostility to the room being too bright amplified by white wall paneling. Accompanied by a noise whisper/chatter loop, it will sound like many conversations are happening around you. It should not be able to be understood, it is supposed to create a feeling of disconnect from your surroundings. That partnered with shadows of figures behind the white paneling reinforces those feelings. Ultimately you find yourself in the center of these interactions amongst these figures that you don't know how to interpret. One may find the light and sound uncomfortable or bothersome making the viewer overwhelmed and want to leave. Although they are intended for their brain to still feel the desire to try to make sense of the chatter and figures and what they mean. It's through this intended experience that I will have successfully conveyed the emotions of social anxiety through my lens.


I intend to create some sort of drop down ceiling , I’m curious wheeather a tall ceiling that feels out of reach or if a low ceiling limiting space conveys my message better. I would love any feedback or suggestions on that.

You are limited by what we have- so that ay make the decision for you- but I would suggest lower than what is comfortable.

Artist inspirations:

Work by: Antony Gormley
Blog discussing Antony’s “Blind Light” https://elephant.art/antony-gormley-blind-light/


What interested me about the blog by Louise Benson is their quote “Ghostly figures appeared and disappeared amidst the fog,feeling their way towards unseen edges”. The way this work is communicates emotion is relevant to my work and installation ideation. I want people to reflect on societal boundaries after experiencing my work. Antony Gormley really knows how to communicate boundaries effectively. Yes he does. Key features I want to explore are blurred figures and the sense they are out of reach thus you are disconnected from what's happening around you.


Work by: Zimoun


This installation has several components I want to explore. I am intrigued by the way the boxes give a sense of organization and compartmentalization. I tend to feel more connected to sounds, for me and many others it can create comfort or be uncomfortable. Something about this chatter sits in the middle; it pulls you in , and makes you think what is it trying to say. I embedded a video below showing related works.

https://youtu.be/gpe0frCZ3jc Time: 4:24 minutes
Work by: Zimoun

Work by: Baptiste Debombourg

This work has a hostility to me , it's hard to explain but I think it comes from two things: the extreme artificial fluorescent lights and all the white material reflecting back. You are not invited to come inside and it is devoid of warmth or comfort. This inspires me how I intend to alter my space in the This gallery, something neutral yet uninviting. This is ALOT of packing styrofoam. You could make a call out to the community to get this much in the time you have? It is really interesting visually.



1 comment:

  1. what would all the square be- I think making them mirrored would be really interesting- although expensive- but you could also play with mixing cheaper materials like aluminum foil which is still reflective with mirrors.

    ReplyDelete

Angela - Site Specific

04/05 UPDATE All done! Glad to have finished off the semester with a brighter, lighter, and more fun creation. The following is my statement...