Monday, March 20, 2023

Cappel: Materialistic

 3/20/23

So to bulk up the design and fill the space more, I opted to make 3- 6ft vines with the flowers, leaf bunches, and yellow flower bunches running about 4ft up. The next foot is eucalyptus garland and baby's breath, and the final foot is the garland. These 3 vines will converge at the bottom, widen out to the top with the baby's breath and eucalyptus garland spreading in 3 directions across the ceiling. I will use the remainder of the garland to help fill in spaces here and there.




This small 2ft vine (above) is in the round and contains the flower buds. This will attach to the the vines where they converge to help taper the vine down to a smaller point.

The image below is a bud inside of a leaf bunch. I am making these with varying flowers to hand down into the space from above.
A yellow flower bunch picture below.
Some of the different stages of billing in the paper flowers.



Hello everyone! I have the That Gallery space for my materialistic project and have come up with two designs that I would like to do, one in particular.


For the first, I wanted to create an immersive experience. The idea is to create an abstraction of a storm cloud. I have very fond memories of the rain with my grandmother and thought this would be something nice to draw inspiration from.



For the cloud, I wanted to use a chicken wire armature with spider web material around it. The strands pictured above would be made out of fiber optic strands that emit a meteor shower effect to give the illusion of rain. I would furthermore use teardrop shaped beads to weigh them down at the bottom, and would apply hot glue to the strands to create a raindrop feel and to add more texture to the fiber optic strands. 

The cloud would be suspended in the top of the gallery and the fibers would be ushered through the cloud to create the rain effect and would hang about 9ft down. 

This piece utilizes the effect of light and I would also like to include a sound element of a rainstorm. This piece would also be immersive in the sense that the viewer would be invited to walk through the strands, much like beads hung above a doorway.


For my second piece, it is a bit on the heavy side of things, but is a piece I am far more drawn to and utilizes materials I am more comfortable and familiar with. Furthermore, I think I would enjoy making this piece as it could be very cathartic for me.


This piece draws on trauma in general and I would like for the audience to experience and perceive this idea of growth or healing from trauma in an indirect and abstract way.

This piece, for me, focuses on healing from my sexual assault trauma. I have spent the last two years trying to heal from it and while I have made progress it still haunts me.

There is a lot of personal symbolism that goes into this but I feel the audience would still be able to render it in the way I intend.



So the piece starts from the floor with a tangle of black; dark red; and red; yarn, thread and other like materials. It starts as a mess on the floor and builds up into the vine. When I was in trauma therapy this was the color I chose to represent the violence and nightmares i was having at the time.

The red thread seeps upward into the vine becoming more and more scarce. As this happens, paper flower buds in the color mint begin to appear on the vine (mint was my chosen color for inner power, peace, and calm in trauma therapy). As the vine progresses upward, the mint flowers become more and more in bloom until reaching the top and finishing with leaves and fully bloomed flowers.

This is meant to represent the growth and healing coming out of the violent floor. However, I kept the two pieces intertwining and would likely have bits of red thread in the top. This is meant to represent that even though I've healed in part from this traumatic event, it may be something that effects me in certain ways and every so often for the rest of my life.

I am not entirely sure what to use for the armature of the vine but would be open to any suggestions.


This form is intriguing but talk to us more about the idea. 

Also place on here a timeline for making this.  Is it feasible in the time you have. Is it realistic at this scale? It should really envelop the space as to push past object into installation.

2 comments:

  1. Cappel,

    Loving these concepts. Thank you for sharing the difficult stuff as well - I speak a lot to domestic violence trauma and finding healing through making in my own practice. Cierra has lots of very relevant ideas I'm sure she could share here, and Mark Ritchie always has great thoughts on catharsis and cathartic making, so you may chat with those folks.

    The rain piece is a strong concept visually, and fiberoptics are beautiful when executed well, but they are an absolute bitch to work with. Your description of the cables being something you navigate sort of reminds me of the spirit trees and plants in the Avatar films.
    It sounds like you have a lot more emotional and conceptual connection with the second concept, the colors and orchestration are very well considered. I'd encourage you to follow this concept. If you do end up doing so, take care that whatever material you use to make the plants doesn't stray too close to hobby lobby fake florals - maybe consider bringing actual botanical material into the mix? Terrarium supplies may be something to consider - I'm sure there are all sorts of mosses and plants at the pet supply here in town. Air plants and other epiphytic plants are hardy and would be easy to attach to the piece, and could bring in that added touch of naturalism and growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I work primarily in paper, specifically casting and folding of paper. I was planning on making paper flowers. If I can figure out how to pull it off I would like to try and make peonies. They remind me of my grandmother and have always been a source of comfort to me. However, they are very intricate flowers and have many petals so I'm not sure if this would be possible with time constraint, but I am planning on paper for the materials.

      Delete

Angela - Site Specific

04/05 UPDATE All done! Glad to have finished off the semester with a brighter, lighter, and more fun creation. The following is my statement...