Monday, May 1, 2023

Lewis- Site specific

5/1/23






I considered doing something overhead but decided that would be better explored in future projects. As I started weaving I wasn’t feeling it, I wasn’t passionate. So I took a more abstract approach and let instinct steer the creation of the installation. I started to really enjoy the process and felt it better aligned with my voice and style as an artist. It felt almost like an abstract drawing method using objects, I would absolutely love to do this on a bigger scale and continue to explore the process.  Each fiber , textile, and embellishment have sentimental value making it feel like a self portrait. This projects resolution is pretty different then where my ideation started; it feels like a good metaphor for this school year. I could have not predicted what was to come, but trusting the process it yielded something I’m really proud of.  


4/24/ 23

I will be only focusing on creating a weaving utilizing a variety of fibers, yarn and textiles. To me this still builds off the core of my original idea, the art museum as the location and weaving represent my passion for art. Weaving is one of the earliest art processes I learned and really awoken something in my at a very young age. The museum summer program taught me the joy of art exploration and community in art. Often feeling out of place, not knowing expectations and struggling with communicating , I can break free of that when it comes to the world of art. The variety of materials is representational of the concept “Different not less” , everything serves a function and brings a quality of uniqueness. 


After refining my concept Ive decided to shift my location slightly, I want to place it on the wall between the steps and the ramp entrance. First this allows more people to be able to view my work, second the previous spot I planned installing lost context with the new concept.  ( not my photo , I recently changed my mind and didn't have the time to take a photo)


4/17/23

I have created my positive for a plaster mold using my knowledge of anatomy from life drawing, that I will be using to cast tissue paper . This is one of the seven works I plan on installing for my ‘’ guerrilla ” art exhibition. This represents the art work and concepts I explored in high school. For me bones represented the most simplified form of humanity, something universal to every viewer. I now know more complex making techniques and create with an abstract style, which has shifted my work. This is meant to cherish that sentiment as my work evolves and changes because it became very foundational for me.



4/11/23




I took extra photos of the surrounding area, and I think my original selection best supports displaying the work and the aesthetic I’m looking for.
  
4/10/23




I’m currently working with the idea of a ‘’ guerrilla ”  art exhibition I have a variety wall hangings that I want to display along the hall. At the end I want to place different metal sculptures on podems. I’m pretty open to what this will look like, but I think the idea of installing work in a non-traditional space is very interesting. I have attended a few art conferences and two of them had exhibitions showing work in places you wouldn't expect. For me I really reflected on what it means to create your own space and give your work value. I feel artists are often worried over the prestige of a showing. This is a statement about not concentrating on the validation of others and giving value to my own work This is intended to represent stages in my art journey, I’m personally pretty excited about doing several skill based works. It feels like a self portrait in a sense and sort of a pathway to the future and where art will take me. It's a constant part of my life and I want to pay homage to the unexpected ways it has brought joy to me.





4/3/2023

Concept # 1


This idea is meant to honor my pets life, celebrating the love I felt from him over half my life. Not a day has gone by in the past five months that I haven't thought of him, it feels like a part of me just no longer exists in this world. Losing a pet is a very common experience, it's the trade we make to be so fortunate to enrich our life with theirs. I have chosen to abstract his form to a silhouette, I want to make 12 of them representing the 12 years JellyBean was in my life. This installation would be located in front of the Laramie animal shelter, hanging in a tree I selected. In theory this would be seen on a sunny day, I want to create paper frames that cast shadows onto the ground. A translation of light sending a message across to the universe. It's hard to put into words the impact JellyBean had on my life and I will always cherish him.



( Abstracted Silhouette)
( adopted oct. 29th 2010 - passed away Nov. 22nd 2022) 

(Tree in front of Animal Shelter)

(Laramie Animal Shelter)

( JellyBean) 
Excerpt from JellyBeans kennel card: “ Bernard is a sweet young guy. He seeks attention, and seems to like other cats. He's a great kitty looking for a permanent home.”


Artist Inspiration
“Untitled” (Portrait of Ross in L.A.)
Installation by Felix Gonzalez-Torres

“Edge of Grief”
Installation by Dr. Jules Findley

“Wishing Tree” 
Installation by Pink Zebra Ceramics

Concept # 2


In my life when I go into the world I often feel like an observer, analyzing my surroundings looking for patterns. Following N 22nd St. north bound you will come to a bridge that overlooks Laramie. For this idea I want to explore observation and what that means to me, playing with obstruction of view. Installing a mirror here you walk by and your view is blocked. No longer looking outward you are unexpectedly faced with the reflection of yourself. A sudden sense of intimacy with yourself makes the space feel smaller even though you are out in the open. Obstruction of what you’re allowed to see is something I have explored more in my drawing. I think the use of a metaphorical and a literal bridge is an interesting investigation of concept. Whether it's the right time or not for this work it's definitely something I want to explore.




Artist Inspiration:

“Valley Curtain”
Installation by Christo and Jeanne-Claude

“Maraya”
Installation by Gio Forma Studio Associato
 
“The Ring”
Installation by Arnaud Lapierre

Concept # 3 


The University of Wyoming Art Museum holds a lot of meaning to me. Summer programs as a child have become very foundational core memories. To me it shifted that way I created , starting to view art practice as investigation.  Looking back on the last few years I've had experiences and done things I could have never imagined. So In this work I want to pay homage to my younger self. I included bones as a reference to my earlier work In highschool. This sketch needs more refinement, it is extremely simplified. I want to include artifacts that speak to my early art . Ceramic from when I first fell in love with art, weaving from the first art practice I personally explored. Also using bones to represent a sustained investigation of concepts in highschool , along with paper and metal my focus in college. This will be a sculptural collage representing artistic stages of my life.


 


Artist Inspiration:

Installation by Clair Morgan

“The valley of Wet Bones”
Installation by Gil Yefman

“ The Hated Flower”
Installation by Rebecca Louise Law  














 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Angela - Site Specific

04/05 UPDATE All done! Glad to have finished off the semester with a brighter, lighter, and more fun creation. The following is my statement...