Thursday, May 4, 2023

Katie - Site Specific

Date: 5/4/23

Update:

Yesterday I was finally able to install my work at my location downtown and it was a very difficult process overall. The branches kept ripping even though there was only a slight breeze and they did not stay up for even 15 minutes. I was able to get my 10 images but I don't feel very confident or successful with the end result. I think there was a lot that could have been done differently to help it hold against the wind better and I am disappointed I did not consider those options sooner. But it's okay, I am glad to have the project done despite my many wrong turns and ultimately I learned a lot through the creating process!

 










In Progress Pictures:














Date: 4/24/23

Update:

This week I went out and remeasured the swingset to ensure that this time everything goes to plan. Unfortunately, right after that everything did not go to plan. Although my measurements were correct this time, I did the math and I do not have enough paper to make this project. So I went to walmart and got king size sheets to use instead. I know that one sheet is still not large enough to completely cover the area of one trianlge, but it's close and I'm going to stick with this material. Plus the fabric is much stronger than just my paper and will hold better against the wind. To attach it to the poles of the swingset, I'm going to add grommets around the perimeter of the sheet and secure them in place most likely with twine or rope. I have the sheet hung up in my studio now, and I think I can make two of them in time to display for a little while (I'm hoping for a few days at least).



Date: 4/18/23

Update:

I started work on my project but upon inspection it seems that the size I had cut the paper to was incorrect and I need to re-measure the swingset. Unfortunately, I threw it away before I took pictures so now I need to completely start over, but I still have time to correct the error so I'm not worried. I've also been catching up on previous assignments such as the ChatGPT assignment and commenting on projects that I wasn't able to critique in person. I haven't finished all of them, but I'm making good progress! If you'd like to see my comments they're way at the bottom of the posts so check it out :)

I wish I had more to post for this week, but like I said there isn't much to show (trust me, I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures). I hope everyone has a good week and that your projects are going better than mine currently is.


Date: 4/11/23

Update:

I decided to go with the swingset location, it offers more possibilities and is in a place people can stop to look at the work as their kids play (especially as it gets warmer outside).

I went back to the location and took more pictures and I'm really glad I did, the snow patterns were interesting to look at and I incorporated it into my idea. I want to make four large installments that will go on the outside frame of the swing. They will be drawings made on paper (I have a big roll of it in my studio), but I would love to make it more transparent if I can. I'm open to ideas and suggestions, I can only think of curtains (which is possible but may fall apart faster). Below are a couple sketches I did on the pictures of the location.

The pattern I was following was very similar to the trees that surround the swingset, they are huge and impossible to divorce from the location so I wanted to incorporate the organic feeling they provide amongst a very geometric area (angles of the swingset and the trainyard behind it). I want to fill it in more, it's a very simple design right now but it would be really interesting to see it continued in more detail. These are more to show my idea than commit to a specific pattern.

I like the contrast of the organic design vs. the industrial elements that exist in the area, I think it calls more attention to the feeling of growth and the changing of the season we're in. This is reminiscent of my original reason for choosing this spot, it is where my partner and I said goodbye to our friend before he moved. This was a change of the season for us too.



 

 Date: 4/4/23

Idea 1:

My first idea takes place at Walmart in the flower section. I was thinking of making little little customers with their shopping carts but they would look like aliens. This is in reference to the term "Walmartians," which refers to the peculiar, unexpected, and sometimes strange population of people that shop at Walmart. I would make these figures out of sculpey and position them in the aisles to look like they're shopping.







Idea 2:

This area is on Boswell Drive across from the Sushiboat restaurant. In the summer I see tourists park in this area all the time as they take a break from being on the interstate. I thought it might be funny to make little tourist people dressed in their hawaiian shirts but shivering because it's still so cold here. This idea made me laugh so I wanted to include it, but I don't know if I'll pursue it.

I really like this location and I want to use it especially because of the rows of bushes that surround its perimeter. I would love to use fabric in some way but the wind is really strong right there, so I'm not sure what I could make that would survive. I thought about possibly weaving some fishing line and incorporating it into the sitting area or gazebo in some way, but I don't want it to blow away and potentially harm animals.




Idea 3:

I  like this location because it's where I said goodbye to a dear friend before they moved across the country. This friend means a lot to me, the three of us (my partner, our friend, and I) used to spend every Friday night eating dinner and watching movies together. I want to make a piece that encapsulates that friendship. I love the swing at this location and I would definitely like to use that as part of the project. I've been thinking about transparent materials lately and the way they interact with light. The Spanish artist Jaume Plensa comes to mind when I look at this location and I would like to do something in the same vein as his work (shown below).






No comments:

Post a Comment

Angela - Site Specific

04/05 UPDATE All done! Glad to have finished off the semester with a brighter, lighter, and more fun creation. The following is my statement...